Deanna and I awoke early. This would be her last morning in Europe. With a mid-afternoon flight departure, we thought visiting another location of the discount clothing store would be fun.
We were up and out of the hotel before 9 a.m.
On our walk to the Metro, we passed a Farmer's Market, with a variety of produce, fish, etc.
Then, just before the Metro station, this little piece of heaven.
We arrived at the Metro station and made some inquiries about the connections from there, to Charles de Gaulle airport. Deanna purchased her same day ticket and I purchased mine, for the next day. However, when inquiring about the best way to reach the discount clothing store, we discovered getting there, was going to be more time consuming than anticipated. We opted to grab some breakfast and sit for a bit, before going our separate ways.
We found a cafe just outside the station. After ordering our breakfast, we found a table near two gentlemen. One man appeared to be 70+ and the other, was maybe in his 40s. Deanna and I chatted over our food and cafe. I periodically noticed the older man staring at me. It was happening so frequently, it was beginning to be a bit uncomfortable. I started to wonder if he didn't want us to sit near him.
After the staring went on for a while, the younger man asked, "Are you American?" We replied, "Yes". He went on to say, "My grandfather loves Americans. He was here when the Americans came, during the war and fought to save our country." The grandfather smiled, as his grandson spoke. I asked if the grandfather spoke English and if the grandfather had ever been to America. The grandson's responses were, "A little" and "No".
We continued our conversation for some time. The topics included travel, politics and French residency. I think we could have continued this easy conversational manner for some time, but it was time for Deanna to head to the airport. We said our goodbyes and departed.
The ride to the airport would require a train connection. Our plan was to ride together on the first train. Then, we'd say our goodbyes and take different connecting trains. My train would take me to Notre Dame. After a short ride, we arrived at the transfer point. We hugged, got a station agent to snap a departing photo, wished each other safe travels and were on our way.
After boarding my train, I settled in for a longish ride, to my stop. Unfortunately, I got a little too comfortable and passed my stop. Fortunately, my mistake was realized, just after the stop was missed. I got off at the next stop and started the walk back. Since I had the entire day to leisurely browse the city, a missed stop and a little extra walking, was no big deal.
Here are some of the city sights:
![]() |
| The Seine |
![]() |
| Palais de Justice on The Seine |
![]() |
| Palais de Justice |
![]() |
| Outside of Notre Dame |

![]() |
| Statue of Charlemagne |

![]() |
| The Black Madonna and Child |



![]() |
| Carvings of the life of Jesus |
After leaving the Cathedral I walked around the neighboring area and made my way to another part of the city.

![]() |
| Sculptures by Polles @ Square Michel Caldagues |
![]() |
| Church @ Square Michel Caldagues |
![]() |
| Acadamie Nationale de Musique |
![]() |
| My Last Cafe in Paris |
Next stop, ATL.





















No comments:
Post a Comment