Sunday, August 24, 2014

THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER

Departure day is almost here.  In 1.5 days, I head to the airport for my pilgrimage.  Still not excited yet.  This afternoon, I watched, The Way with Anyel, the two youngest granddaughters (16 & 18 (as of September) and the 18 year old's boyfriend.  It was fun to watch it again, but this time, while watching the movie, I was able to point out the cities in which I'd be taking "rest days".  They now have a better understanding of what their grandmother will be doing.

Since I last wrote, the walking has gone as follows:

Friday - 8.00 miles
Saturday - 18.00 miles
Sunday - 6.45 miles

Not as much walking as I wanted to do, but as much as I could do.  Saturday was a tough one.  On many occasions, it was necessary for me to talk myself into continuing to walk. The temperature was 90+ and humidity was in the 40% range. I didn't start walking until 10 a.m. and was on the road during the hottest part of the day.  Had to take lots of breaks in the shade.  After 9 miles, it was time for a 40 minute rest and refreshment break.  

Hit the road again and the temps were still high.  However, I was blessed with divine intervention.  The dark clouds rolled in and the skies produced sprinkles of coolness.  Boy was I happy to feel the refreshing coolness of the rain.  I said, "Thank you God".  Later, the thunderstorms started. At that point, I was less than 2 miles from home.  Hurried into a store along the way and retrieved my rain poncho from my backpack.  Walked the rest of the way home and collapsed on the living room floor, totally exhausted. Finally, walked 18 miles.




This evening, there will be a Pilgrim's Blessing (for those who will be leaving for The Camino during the next week).  The priest will bless us, our backpacks, poles, etc. Maybe, the excitement will kick in then.  Will let you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment