Monday, July 21, 2014

GA AT DONE, CAMINO de SANTIAGO BOUND

As some of you know, each month, from September 2013 through June 2014, I hiked a section of the Georgia Appalachian Trail.  Last month, I completed the last section and received my certificate of completion and my GATC patch.  It was extremely challenging, but I got it done.

With that done, I'm now concentrating my energy on the Camino de Santiago.  This is a 500 mile walking pilgrimage from St. Jean Pied de Port, FRANCE, over the Pyrenees, across Northern SPAIN, to Santiago de Compostela, SPAIN.  I'll walk an average of 16 miles/day, 6 days/week.  I'll carry a backpack weighing approximately 14 lbs and sleep each night in a different town, in an albergue (kinda like a hostel, only a little nicer). Here and there, I will be treating myself to a few nights in hotels.


So what is the Camino de Santiago?  From Wikipedia, "The Way of St. James, St. James's Way, St. James's Path, or St. James's Trail (commonly known by its name in Spanish: El Camino de Santiago) is the name of any of the pilgrimage routes (most commonly the Camino Francés or French route) to the shrine of the apostle St. James the Great, in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia in northwestern Spain, where tradition has it, that the remains of the saint are buried. Many take up this route as a form of spiritual path or retreat, for their spiritual growth."

If you want a better idea of the journey, rent or purchase a copy of the movie, The Way, starring Martin Sheen.  



Many of my friends and family have asked me to keep them abreast of the journey.  So, I've started this blog.  I'm schedule to leave for Spain in August of 2014.  In the meantime, I'm preparing for the many days of walking.  My training walks are increasing in distance and frequency.  Since I'll be walking an average of about 16 miles/day, it's important to prepare my mind, body and especially my feet, for the trek.  Many people suffer with feet issues during this trek.  Multiple blisters, plantar fasciiti, heel spurs and more.  I'm hoping my system of Injinji toe socks, under Wright Socks (a 2-layer sock designed to maximize moisture management and minimize friction) will keep the blisters away.  Only time will tell.  I've also heard, coating your feet with Vaseline each morning can help.  I may try the Vaseline.

I did a 13.25 mile training walk yesterday and this evening, I'm doing a shorter 7.75 mile walk.  This week, will be two days of walking, one day off and repeat.  Tuesday will be a rest day.  I'll try to post at least once/week.  Next week, I increase to three days on, one day off and repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment