Thursday, September 20, 2018

Caldas de Reis to Padron

Friday - 9/14

Starting at the 100 kms remaining mark, all pilgrims must collect two stamps on their Pilgrim's Passport, per day. If a Pilgrim arrives in Santiago de Compostela, without the required two stamps per day, they could be denied their certificate of completion. 

I had only collected one stamp the day before. Therefore, my first order of business this day, was to go back to the bakery I purchased from on Thursday and get a stamp, for the prior day's visit.

Once the stamp was obtained, breakfast was the next stop. Once the eating was done, the walking could begin. Here is some of what I saw, along the way to Padron:


The Church of Santa Marina



Church cemetery vaults


A village woman
w/freshly cut flowers

An encouraging
altered Stop sign
 
 A view from above
 
 Flowers along the way 

Arrived in Padron, after an easy, but hot day of walking. After a brief rest, here is what I saw:

In the center of town
commemorating the farmers
Padron has the largest open-air market in Galicia. Though it wasn't in full swing, on the day I arrived,  here are some pics:

An assortment of
shellfish options 
Salted cod

"Salt cod is dried, salted cod that needs to be re-hydrated and de-salted before use. It looks pretty unappetising – a bit like a dried-up leather shoe – but softens once rehydrated and tastes delicious when cooked. It’s extremely popular in Mediterranean countries (particularly Portugal, where it's known as bacalhau), as well as in tropical countries, where it keeps well despite the hot temperatures. In some parts of Italy, salt cod is traditionally eaten on Christmas Eve; in France, it's used as the basis for brandade."


A view down a
market aisle 

Freshly made churros



Tomorrow will be my last day of Camino walking. Next stop, Santiago de Compostela. 


No comments:

Post a Comment