Sunday
The day was pretty uneventful. Slept late and took another walk into Competa. On the way, I spotted these along the highway.
 |
| Avocado trees along the road |
 |
| Avocados |
Returned from Competa and took a siesta. Took the 6 p.m. bus to Malaga and then, the overnight bus to Lisbon (Lisboa), Portugal. Unfortunately, the person who sat next to me, had a persistent and nasty sounding cough. The seats were assigned and she bus was full. Tried shielding myself from her germs, but I don't think I was successful. As I write this, I'm nursing a stuffy nose and irritated throat.
 |
| Bus for Lisbon |
Monday
Arrived in Lisbon at 6 a.m. Check-in at the hostel, wasn't until 3 p.m. Killed a bit of time, consuming a coffee and croissant, but decided I'd head over to the hostel and see if there was a chance for early check-in.
 |
| Hostel Lobby |
 |
| Hostel garden |
No early check-in, but I was able to store my backpack and offered the free breakfast. I only got coffee, but shared the table with three Germans, one Romanian and one French. Once th we y realized I was American, the conversation quickly changed to their opinions about Trump. They were very clear about their dislike for both the man and his politics.
Since there were still nearly five hours before I could check-in, exploring the city was next. Here is a bit of what I saw.
 |
| The rooftops of Lisbon |
 |
| A stairway with artwork |
 |
These streets make for a bumpy ride |
 |
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church |
 |
| Images in the church |
 |
| Close up of previous image |
 |
| Another image in the churc |
 |
| Traffic around Commerce Square |
 |
| Commerce Square |
 |
| Rua Augusta Arch |
 |
| Opposite side |
 |
Not statues, but people made to look like statues |
 |
| Along Rua Augusta |
A bit further away, there was more.
 |
| Elevator de Santa Justa |
 |
Mermaid Fountain In Rossio Square |
 |
| Steep Hill |
 |
| Steep Hill Tram |
 |
| Jardim do Principe Real |
 |
| Architecture around Principe Real |
Took an uber back to the hostel, got checked in, cleaned up and rested, until dinner was ready, at 9 p.m.
Nothing much, for the rest of the night.
I found central Lisbon to be very beautiful. However, the bus I initialy took to the hostel, was going in the opposite direction, from what I needed. This out-of-the-way journey took me into the non tourist areas, of the city. The contrast was striking. The buildings and the streets were dirty and much neglected.
No comments:
Post a Comment