Friday, September 21, 2018

Padron to Santiago de Compostela

Saturday  - 9/15

Started the day with the usual breakfast. This will be a long day of walking. Many people will break the remainder of the walk into two days, but some (including me), will continue walking, into Santiago de Compostela.  The distance today will be nearly 18 miles. 

Along the way I made a couple of wrong turns and did some unnecessary backtracking. This added additional walking, to an already long walking day.

Here's some of the day's sights:
I once had a Fiat like this,
except this one is for a bride & groom 

Thought these unfazed goats were cute
Santa Maria de Cruces - Padron
 

 


The tricky part about getting to Santiago, you see the city sign and think, "Finally, I'm here!", but you're really not. There are still about 2 more miles of slow incline, until the cathedral is reached. That is truly the end of the walk. 

I made it to Santiago!  

The last steps of the Camino



The first look at the plaza and cathedral 


Ended this Camino with a couple of very minor blisters, that were easily protected by taping. Physically, other than being tired and still dealing with this cold, I'm feeling good. 

Time to celebrate 
Unfortunately, I didn't make any lasting people connections, during this Camino. My celebration amounted to a party of one.  Katie, from S. Africa, was pretty friendly, but I didn't feel the same from her mates. Also, since they broke the final stage into two days, they would not be arriving until following day.

My celebration consisted of a visit to my favorite tapas bar. I enjoyed a glass of white wine and several tapas. Then, a return to my private room, for a good night's sleep. 

                       My favorite tapas bar 

The following day, I went to the Pilgrim's Office, to show my stamped Pilgrim's Passport  and collect my Mileage Certificate and Compostela. The line wrapped around inside the building and to the outside. I waited in line nearly two hours.  

The completion dates are incorrect (I actually finished the day before), but I didn't notice the error, until she'd already completed the certificate. Figured it was a big deal and let it go.
215 kms walked
= 133.595 miles


Katie and her mates arrived in Santiago. I reached out to Katie, congratulated them and suggested we get together later, for a celebratory bite to eat. 

Getting together never worked out (I must say, I wasn't surprised). Katie did contact me later in the evening and said maybe we could get together that night, for a drink. Since I'd already told her I'd be leaving the next day on an early morning train (5 a.m.), I declined the tentative invitation. I also expressed my feeling that it worked out for the best. As I wasn't feeling much of a welcome from her mates. She apologized for them coming across in that manner and attributed that sense to their limited English language skills. We ended the message exchange with her invitation to look her up, if I'm ever in S. Africa. 

Needed to get up at 3:30 a.m. to get out of the albergue and to the station. Lights out.

Next stop, Madrid. Will be meeting my granddaughter,  Deanna. This is her first trip out of the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment