Sunday, September 14, 2014

DAY EIGHTEEN - El Burgo to Mansilla de las Mulas

Awoke around 3:30 a.m. to answer nature's call and with the first step, felt the pain of the fluid-filled blister bubbles on the bottom of each heel. As I gingerly made my way back to the bed, I grabbed the first-aid kit.  The next hour was spent dealing with blisters. I also realized, the remaining blister patches are too small. Need to get more, but hardly anything is open on Sunday. At 4:30 or so, I reset the alarm (changing it from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m.) Then, laid down, with the hope of getting a couple more hours of sleep.

The walk today was only 17.7 kilometers. Considered to be a short day on the Camino. This is the last section of the Meseta. Due to the shorter distance, my walk began later. After taping my foot to support the heel spur area and taping over the blistered areas (to protect them), at 8:30, I hit the road.

The day remained overcast and without the heat of the sun, the walk was pleasant. Today, there were no midway cafes or other refreshment stops until 3 miles before my destination. It was a relief to have the opportunity to get another cafe con leche and to use a clean bathroom. I relaxed with my coffee and watched part of a movie on the restaurant t.v. Then, back on the road, for the final three miles.

Pictures along the meseta
 


For the past five miles, the blisters on the bottom of my feet felt as if they were increasing in size and in fluid volume. As time went on, they also became more painful. With the increasing pain, I could no longer walk on the gravel road. Walking on the adjacent highway allowed for easier, but still painful, walking. To distract my mind from thinking about the pain, I focused on counting exhalations. After 360, I lost count. However, I was in Mansilla and needed to focus on finding a place to sleep.

I worked my way through town toward the city center. Shortly thereafter, I was inside the municipal aubergue and paying my 5 euros for a bed. The hospitalero said she'd help with my blisters, after my shower. Once I chose a bed, it was time to remove my socks and examine the blisters. Sure enough, the blister on the good foot had increased in size. Now, it was three times as large as it was this morning. The blister on the heel spur foot was the same size as this morning.

After showering, the hospitalero helped me open the blisters, remove the fluid, apply Betadine and dress them. It's now easier to walk. Since I'll be taking the bus to Leon tomorrow and won't be walking, the blisters will have a chance to begin healing. Also, Tuesday is a scheduled rest day. That provides two days for healing.

Tonight, I rest and wake up early to get the bus to Leon.

My pilgrim shadow

No comments:

Post a Comment