Wednesday, September 17, 2014

DAY TWENTY - Resting in Leon

Slept a lot yesterday. This pain wears me out. Awoke around 6 am and noticed the fluid from the large blister on the right foot had soaked through the gauze, bandage and my sock. Also, the smaller blister on the same foot, was extremely painful. This led me to believe it was not draining, as it should. I prepared myself for a return trip to see Carmen and Felicitas.

After making the short walk to the hospital, I sat in the waiting area, while Carmen assisted another patient. She was surprised to see me a day early, but upon finishing with the prior patient, she shuffled me into her office. I removed my shoe and showed her the fluid soaked sock.

Sure enough, the large blister was still oozing fluid and the smaller (about the size of a half dollar) blister was filled with red fluid and was not draining. Carmen tried squeezing fluid out of the smaller one, but the pain was so intense, I moaned in agony. She then elected to thread it, but the first puncture hit the underlying flesh and the pain caused me to flinch and grab the exam table, to brace myself.

The remainder of the procedure and wound re-dressings were a breeze. Carmen recommended no walking today or tomorrow and I should see the doctor upon arriving in my next city. Once again, I thanked her for the treatment. She bid me, "Buen Camino".

Today was the day of my big treat for myself. Since seeing the movie, The Way , I knew a walk on the Camino must include a stay at The Parador .  Once I returned from the hospital, I gathered my things from my room at the hostal and stopped at their cafe, for a couple of cafe con leches and a croissant. With my breakfast finished, I walked the short distance to The Parador and checked in.

My room door.                                                                    My room key


My room at The Parador


 My balcony at the Parador


Spent some time walking around this historic hotel and took some shots.

Sitting area on one of the floors.   View from interior balcony.         Adjoining San Marcos

San Marcos ceiling.                                                                        Surrounding terrace




 
San  Marcos stained glass ceiling.                                                      The Parador courtyard

Then, I went to the market for some lunch/dinner food and returned to my room for some rest and relaxation. Watched some episodes of my favorite t.v. shows (on my Kindle) and called it a night. Tomorrow, I'll go by bus to Hospital de Orbigo.  At least one more day of blister healing is necessary, maybe two.

No comments:

Post a Comment