Many of my Camino friends came into town the last couple of days. They were all concerned as to how I was doing and when I'd be able to continue on. It was good to see the familiar faces.
The severity of the heel pain has diminished significantly. I did a short walk around town yesterday and felt a bit of discomfort after about a half mile. Took it easy the rest of the day. I've decided to move on to Carrion de los Condes. This city is part of the Meseta.
The Meseta is often a dreaded portion of the Camino, because it is long, flat, has no shade and is often very hot during the Summer. It is miles and miles of nothing that is particularly interesting. Due to the monotony of the Meseta, a lot of pilgrims choose to skip over this section. Others, find the nothingness provides the opportunity for periods of reflection and even revelation. Since first hearing of it, I knew I wanted to walk it.
Though I still need to rest my foot for a couple more days, the flat terrain of the Meseta is perfect for my return to walking. I'll take the bus in the morning to Carrion de los Condes, find an auberge and continue to rest the foot.
Tonight, a group of us got together to celebrate the 20th birthday of Fabian, a Swedish girl. Additionally, we said goodbye to a few friends. For them, Burgos is the end of the line. They will go home from here and possibly return to finish the remainder of the Camino in future years. Before turning in for the night, I also said, "Adios Pronto", to my pilgrim friends who will be walking on tomorrow. When they catch up to me in Carrion de los Condes, I hope to be able to walk out of town with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment