Left the Auberge this morning, stopped for a cafe con lecherous and headed to the bus stop. I was told the bus for Burgos is scheduled for a 9;30 arrival, but is always late. True to form, it arrived closer to 10:00 am. The buses are similar to luxury coaches in the states. The ride was only about 40 minutes. Along the way, we picked up other pilgrims who for a variety of reasons chose to shorten the walking journey to Santiago.
While looking for my auberge, I passed a farmacia and remembered I needed to buy tape. When walking in pain the other day, a pilgrim asked me what injury was the problem. When I told her I thought it was bone spurs, she told me about a taping method that was effective for her friend. I thought this was a good time to try it.
Burgos is a large city and is known for its magnificent cathedral. It also has many plazas and shopping areas. After checking into my Auberge and getting settled, I tried the taping method on my foot. Immediately, I was able to walk with hardly any pain. So, I decided to check out the cathedral. It is a stunning example of the opulence of the century in which it was built. When you think of the money spent to build these structures, it is mind-boggling.


I returned to the Auberge for a brief rest. Later, I decided to visit the cafe a few steps from the auberge. On the way through the lobby, I saw Veronica, a Spanish pilgrim roommate from Pamplona. It turns out, she is also injured and hasn't walked since a day or so after we parted ways. She is a Pilates instructor and very fit, but the Camino got her too.
This evening, I again saw the ladies who I rode with to Santo Domingo, Suzanne and Kathy. They haven't done much walking, but instead have been busing it most of the way. They invited me to go with them to the museum tomorrow. They'll also take the bus ride to the site where the oldest human remains were discovered. I'm considering going, but concerned about doing too much walking on my foot.
This evening will be one of rest and relaxation. I've eaten and had a couple of glasses of wine. The chocolate I purchased earlier today is calling me. I'm ready for a little reading and a good night's sleep. Tomorrow I'll also need to replace a pair of pants I mistakenly left at one of the previous Auberge.




No comments:
Post a Comment