Saturday, September 13, 2014

DAY SEVENTEEN - Sahagun to El Burgo Ranero

Yippee! Today, I am walking again. Last night (and when I arose this morning), the plan was to walk to Calzadilla de la Cueza today and Mansilla de las Mulas tomorrow. However, a fellow pilgrim informed me that the route I planned to walk was the Roman route and was an extremely rocky road. With my injury, that road would not be a smart choice. Therefore, plans were quickly changed and I took the path of least resistance.

At about 6:15 am, I walked out of the aubergue and began the walk to El Burgo Ranero. My progress was interrupted by the smell of espresso. After a cafe con leche and pastry, I continued onward. About a mile or two into my walk, I started feeling some rubbing on the bottom of my right foot (the good foot). It seemed to be associated with the silicone heel cushion I had placed there. I walked a bit further and got no relief.

After another mile or so,  I  stopped, put in the donut hole part of the insert I'd previously removed and walked a little further. Still no relief. I stopped, removed my socks and there it was, the beginning of a blister. I taped the affected area, pulled on my socks and shoe and walked on. Still no relief. I came upon a cafe, found an out-of-the-way seat and pulled out the first-aid kit. Then, took off my shoe and socks, to check the damage. I now had a full blown big blister. I threaded it, wiped it with an antiseptic wipe, covered it with moleskin, covered that with tape, removed the heel cushion, put on my sock and shoe and tried walking.

Ouch! It hurt to walk, but I had to deal with the pain until I could get to a farmacia or to my destination. As I was leaving the cafe, some biking pilgrims I'd spoken with on the previous day , were just arriving. They asked how the foot with the heel spurs was coming along. I told them it was better, but now the other foot had a blister. They inquired as to whether I had a Compeed patch. I didn't, but said I intended to get one a.s.a.p. We said our goodbyes and I hobbled down the road. They soon passed me on their bikes and wished me well.

About 5 minutes later, one of the bikers returned. He said, "I've got something for you." I asked what he had. He held up a Compeed patch. He'd asked others if they had a patch to spare and someone did. He rode back to give me the medicated patch he knew I desperately needed. I was more grateful than I could express. He responded, "Pay it forward." And I promise, I will.After applying the Compeed patch, I walked on. The medicine in the patch helped and the padding provided blister cushion.

Pilgrims resting at the entrance to the city
 

I arrived in El Burgo with blisters on the bottom of both heels and only minor heel spur discomfort. It only took a quick stop at the peregrino aubergue for me to see, it looked more minimalist than I wanted. I made a beeline across the street, where a nice little hotel beckoned. I was ready for a hot private shower, in a private room and was more than willing to pay the 30 euros requested. Once in the room, the first order of business was to remove my shoes and discard the heel cushions.

My room for the night.       The longest pillow I've ever seen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment