Started later this morning. Didn't get on the Camino until about 7:40 am. From the beginning, the left heel was a problem. Every step was painful,even with my poles taking some of my weight. I took ibuprofen,but got no relief. In the first town we walked through, I went to the visitor's information center and asked were the doctor was located. They didn't have one. As a matter of fact, the nearest doctor was in the town that was to be our resting destination.
A young man (also a pilgrim, overheard my inquiry and asked what was bothering me I told him the issue was heel pain and he indicated he'd previously been employed as an E.M.T. He provided some extra-strength acetaminophen and suggested I see the doctor a.s.a.p. I limped on. Camino friends along the way offered tropical creams and such,but nothing relieved the pain. Since there are always paths with rocks, I had to be especially careful to step just right. Otherwise,the pain was excruciating.

I did make it through the 15 miles and as soon as I found a place to stay for the night,showered and changed, I headed to the clinic. The doctor slid his stool to the patient table, raised my foot, placed it on his thigh, asked me where I was experiencing the pain and pressed on the indicated area. I nearly jumped off the table. He asked a few more questions and gave me his diagnosis, heel spurs. Although the Spanish medical term is different.
He stated it is a chronic problem and it cannot be relieved with gels, creams or anything topical. The only way to relieve the pain or possibly eliminate it, stop walking for a while. I was given an anti-inflammatory and pain medication that I must take 3xs/day. He also said I should rest the heel for 48 hours and see if the combination of rest and medication make walking less painful.
The new plan is to move forward by bus to Burgos. Wednesday was a planned rest day in Burgos. Instead,I'll get there on Monday. I'll rest Monday and Tuesday and see how the foot feels on Wednesday.If it's good,I'll walk.If not, I'll need to come up with another plan.
I'm sorry this happened! Sounds very painful.
ReplyDelete