Saturday, September 13, 2014

DAY SIXTEEN - Carrion de los Carnes to Sahagun

Moved forward via bus to Sahagun. Tomorrow will be the day to test my foot. Today, it is feeling pretty good, but I don't want to push it. I'm truly trying to be patient, but every morning, when I see pilgrims leaving, I desperately want to walk.

Based on recommendations from my American Pilgrims on the Camino th group, Susan and I got a bed at the the Municipal auberge. Big mistake. The sleeping area was fine, but the bathroom area was much less than desirable. The showers were yucky and two of the three toilets had no seat. The one toilet that had a seat, had no light and no lock on the door.

After a nice lunch, we walked around the city and viewed some of the historic buildings. Sahagun is the geographic halfway point of the Camino. It is also a very old city.



This former church is being restored and house this replica of the first pilgrims guide.


The walking also gave me a chance to test my heel. After more than an hour of walking, it felt good. We returned to the auberge to begin planning for the next day. Susan was unsure as to whether she would walk or catch the train toward the Leon area. She wants to visit a location which houses an artifact related to the crucifixion. I needed to plan the next two walking days.

Due to the condition of the auberge and her inability to get reserved accommodations in her destination city, Susan's mood changed for the worse. I tried getting her to look at the bright side or change her perspective, but she wasn't ready to let go of being unhappy. So, I let her be and said goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. You must have stayed in the muni built in the remains of a former church. I liked the bunk cubicle but NOT the same sex marginal toilets/showers

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the bathroom was not good. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete